The Metz family

The Metz family

Monday, January 5, 2015

Adoption's roots



I love history...reading about it, visiting historical places, and learning what life was like in different times and for different people. Since we began our home study process last year, I've become more and more curious about the history of adoption in the US.  I found this link that gives a brief overview of the history of domestic adoption in the US. 

http://childfound.org/domestic-adoption/

There is intense sadness in the way so many children were treated during this history....history may have started out with 'good intentions' but the way of carrying out those intentions often had insensitive and sad results. One of those historical moments that both fascinated the history buff in me, and brought tears to the mother in me, is the Orphan Trains.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orphan_Train

All this talk about history makes me wonder what kind of culture our family will embrace and become part of when our baby arrives....maybe our baby will be of south american descent, maybe asian, maybe a combination of several.  I'm excited about teaching Liam to know (and love) his history, his family history, and his heritage as he grows (he already has his own junior bagpipe!!)
I wonder what culture, heritage, and history we will absorb into our newly blended family once baby comes...I hope we have some details to share with baby so they can appreciate their roots as well. It will be fun to learn about another kind of heritage and celebrate all the histories in our blended family!








No comments :

Post a Comment